Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pre-Homestay


Point B is where I currently live in St. Petersburg, which is actually conveniently located on the campus of St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University. Point A is 2 metro stops or 1.5 miles walking away, where I may be living with my hostess mother (хозайка) beginning this weekend. Please notice the Gary-like clouds next to the two points.

Although I am nervous about meeting my хозайка and moving out of a much more comfortable living situation, I know that I did not come to Russia to be comfortable, but to learn how to live as native Russians do, meaning that I will not have the convenience of simply walking from one building to the next indoors every morning on the way to class, nor will I have the luxuries of the current dorm--three sinks (a treat for most Russian families)!

After the nightmare that was my roommate's experience with her proposed хозайка, I am excited to live more simply with the added benefits of complete language immersion rather than live more comfortably with the subtracted setbacks of speaking English with my roommates. I just hope that she does not have too many cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment